07 April 2009

What happened to my mother tongue?

Stuart is trying to learn German in preparation for our move to Germany, but the more I walk around this country and read its magazines and newspapers, the more I despair of still having a language in the long term. English slogans and terminology has become de rigeur for adverts and journalism. I read about "wirelessen" and "cloud computing" and every town needs an English slogan. The magazine above actually has content written entirely in German, not that you would be able to tell from the cover. 

This use of another language doesn't always end well, of course, and apostrophe crime is rife, as is the use of words strung together with little concern for content or indeed meaning:

I really have no idea what this means and how it relates to fashion. Can you take a guess?

No comments:

Post a Comment